Friday, December 16, 2011

Songs (not albums) I liked best in 2011

This year I have decided to write about the songs that I liked best. I will not choose best albums only because I simply do not like every song a band or artist puts out. Well, that is why iTunes, emusic, and other mp3 sites were created for, so we could choose our faves.

So, what songs touched me the most this year? There are some that I can play over and over and over. It drives my husband crazy, but I can't help it. I love listening to each chord, to the notes being sung, and just let it take me away. I was telling my mom the other day that it's kinda crazy how some people go ballistic with celebrities, but i had to admit to her that maybe I would go crazy like that for a singer whose lyrics have touched my soul (Thom Yorke, anyone?). 

Truly, a lot of the songs we listen to on the radio are sometimes manufactured by a group of writers, but there are still some singers out there that actually pen their own words.

Here are my fave songs of 2011:

Snow Patrol - Called Out in the Dark
I just love this song and I've listened to a LOT.  It's catchy, it's fun, and I just like the lyrics. In the case of this song, I loved it even more after watching the video. Gary Lightbody's voice rocks too. Have you seen the video? How cute is that? Check it out if you haven't:




Angus and Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane

I am perfectly aware that this song has been extremely overplayed. However, I just love their harmonies and the softness of the music. How cool that they are a brother and sister duo? They both have the cutest voices. Ok, so maybe singers don't want to be described as cute. Hmm... Ok, how about they both have dewy voices. The video does not do much for me, but in case you haven't heard this song, here it is.





Other Lives - As I Lay My Head Down
Other Lives - Dark Horse
Other Lives - For 12


Other Lives blew me away during their opening session for The Rosebuds at the Media Club this year. I didn't even know who they were, and then BAM! Blown away was I. Seriously, they are incredible and boy, can they play great music. The three songs I've listed are my faves from their album and the ones that stayed with me after the concert. If you ever get a chance to see them live, please do. They are one band that are worth paying $$ to see. They are opening for Radiohead in the US.  Here is the live video for As I Lay My Head Down - live, so good!! Agree?





 Adele - Someone Like You


Come on, who didn't feel something after really listening to these lyrics: 
I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.

Wow, I know that there are tons of you out there who have gone back to see your exes for closure or to stalk them, so don't deny this song moved you to tears. I did not cry because I have been blessed with no exes, except one, but all I could think about was a lot of girls in my life (my sisters) whose hearts have broken when such ex moves on and gets married. So heartbreaking, no? The b&w video is so nice and I just love Adele's powerful voice.


The Pack a.d. - Take

Two piece band from Vancouver, yo! Gotta have some indie here. Saw them live this year for the first time. They are special to my hubby because he sent them a cassette full of road trip songs, and he was chosen to win a nice candle, a symbal from their drums and their cd (that came empty). Ha! They rock and well, they are some cool chicks and very funny live. Here's the video. :)


 Low - Try to Sleep

Low's album C'Mon is really one that I enjoy as a whole, but Try to Sleep is my favorite song. The lead singers are a couple and both have low voices, no pun intended. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at the Rio Theatre, super awesome venue - no smoking allowed, yay! The video for this song has John Stamos in it, and he sure looks dapper in the video. Look up the history of Low and see why they are called Low.






The Raveonettes - Forget That You're Young
The Raveonettes - Apparitions


I love this Danish band and got the chance to see them live with my hubby. Not only did I have a great date night but it was a great show. That same night we saw the Pack a.d., so that is why you see both bands in this list. I love the Raveonettes sound and it's not the same every time. Their harmonies are tight and best of all is the double drums. Check out not only their new album Raven in the Grave, but also their older ones. Very cool sound. Here's Apparitions:









Fleet Foxes - Lorelai


This is one of the many bands whose CD's my hubby will get and put it in the van, and I will ask: "Who's this?" Then him answering and introducing me to yet another good band. I'm so lucky to have my own personal DJ. Ok, so Fleet Foxes remind me of another good band - My Morning Jacket - and that is not a bad thing. This song is the one that I like best, so whimsical. I can envision driving on a car and passing green fields... Check it out.






Foster the People - Pumped Up Kids


Ok, so here is another treat for me. Another over played song that I have not gotten tired of yet. It's so California, no? Did not realize that I was getting hooked to a song about guns until someone pointed out and by that time, it was too late to turn it off in my head. 






The Kooks - Junk of the Heart (Happy)


I feel happy when I hear this song. I guess they brainwash me with their happy song and happy lyrics. See? Just thinking about being happy makes me happy. This is pretty much the only song I've heard from the Kooks but I enjoy it every time I hear it. 




The Head and the Heart - Lost in My Mind


"Ooooh Oooooh Oooooh Oooooh" This is really one song makes sing out loud in the car. Oh, my poor girls. "There are stars up above, We can start moving forward" - love those lines. Now doesn't it just wanna make you stomp your feet? Well, the singer does in the video - how fitting. 






So, as you can see I have a wide selection for you to listen to. If you have never heard of these bands, go on youtube and watch their videos or listen to their songs. Search them online and look up their history. There are other songs but I will stop here or otherwise, it might drive you crazy. Music, just like books, allows me to escape and it either makes me super happy or melancholy. I love how it a tune will bring back memories of a special day and it's no wonder then that, if married, you will have your own wedding song. 


I truly wish I was a song and music writer but alas, I just have to enjoy it from others. Let me know your thoughts.












3 comments:

  1. I came across the band Low a month or so ago but then went to mark it in itunes later and couldn't remember their name. Thank you, now it's marked!!

    Love finding songs that I want to play over and over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool songs, but one thing...I was never moved to tears by Someone Like You, and my ex is not married. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Diana, I am totally with you on called out in the dark! I probably listened to that song 1000 times when that first came out, I was obsessed with it! I once listened to it the whole way to work one day from Abby to Surrey, over and over again. And the video - well the video is the cherry on top! Gary Lightbody is the most adorable creature on the face of the planet and I SO want to marry him!! Lol. Anyhoo, just wanted to share :) Oh and if you want to hear another awesome and upbeat song by the Kooks check out Ooh La...so cute! I saw them a few years back at the Commodore and they were great. I've kind of grown out of them since but they still make great music :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete